Have you come across a project that required custom in-place stairs? When the stairs by component or stairs by sketch don't cut it, have you used an in-place family? You must have quickly realized that the "stairs" category is missing in the Family Category selector for an in-place family:
I've got good news for you, there is a way to get that in-place staircase into the proper "stairs" category. Here's how:
- In an empty project, create a staircase without railings.
- Go to the Revit menu, then Export -> IFC and save it somewhere.
- Now open that IFC file in Revit. Revit menu -> Open -> IFC.
- Select the staircase. Notice it's an in-place family BUT it's in the right category!
- Copy it to the clipboard and paste it into your real project.
- Now you can modify the in-place family to look like whatever staircase you can imagine!