By: Michelle Rasmussen
In most projects, multiple design professionals or departments work on the different elements of a design. For example, architects often use the Autodesk Revit software to model architectural elements, while civil engineers and surveyors use the Autodesk InfraWorks 360 software during the preliminary design phase and the AutoCAD Civil 3D software during the detailed design phase. The Autodesk Navisworks software enables you to connect with many other software types to view an entire project in one model. This enables you to take advantage of models that have been created by other departments or firms.
An Autodesk InfraWorks 360 design can be taken directly into the Autodesk Navisworks software to more effectively uncover design problems and constructability issues or to plan the construction sequencing.
There are two options when porting your Autodesk InfraWorks 360 model into the Autodesk Navisworks software:
- First, import the model into AutoCAD Civil 3D, then open the .DWG file in the Autodesk Navisworks software.
- Export a 3D Model which you can append to an Autodesk Navisworks file.
The benefit of exporting the model to a 3D Model is that you do not lose the high-end graphics that come from Autodesk InfraWorks. The benefit of taking the model into AutoCAD Civil 3D first is that several objects get converted into AutoCAD Civil 3D objects, which you can then use to quickly move the detailed design forward.
If a 3D model is used to take the design into the Autodesk Navisworks software, you can export it as either a single file or multiple files. The benefit of using multiple files is that you can select which features in the model you want to export.
How To: Export an Autodesk InfraWorks 360 Model to Autodesk Navisworks
- In the In Canvas Tools, click (Settings and Utilities)> (Export 3D Model).
- In the Export to 3D Model File dialog box, do the following, as shown in the image below:
- Define the area to export.
- Set the Target Coordinate System.
- Determine if you want a single file or multiple files.
- Click Export.
- Open the Autodesk Naviswork software.
- Append the .FBX file to the Navisworks model. When complete, you should see the high-end graphic model from InfraWorks, as shown below.
How To: Open an Autodesk InfraWorks 360 model in AutoCAD Civil 3D to move into Autodesk Navisworks
- In AutoCAD Civil 3D, on the Insert tab>InfraWorks 360 panel, expand InfraWorks 360 and select Open InfraWorks 360 Model.
- In the Open InfraWorks 360 Model dialog box, do the following, as shown in the image below:
- Select the InfraWorks 360 model.
- Set a Coordinate System for the current drawing.
- Set the Selection area.
- Under Object settings, set the object to import (All Objects, Design Objects, or Planning Objects).
- Under Selection set, click Refine Selection Set and deselect any objects you do not need.
- Click Open Model.
Check out my screencast which covers opening an Autodesk InfraWorks 360 model inside AutoCAD Civil 3D by going to: http://autode.sk/2e1Pk23
- Save the drawing file.
- In Autodesk Navisworks:
I hope you found this helpful. I plan to be showing people how to do this during my Autodesk University (AU2016) class in Las Vegas on November 16th. If you plan to go to #AU2016, make sure you sign up for my class: TR20425-Do You Cross the Bridge or Fade Away? There are only 14 seats left so sign up and save your spot now. After class, come workout with me in the Canyon Ranch Spa. Send me an email at email@example.com to learn more.
I hope to see you there.