By Michelle Rasmussen
The first time I heard that ASCENT would be offering eBooks, I thought to myself, “How will eBooks work in a classroom environment? I was so used to handing students a book and asking them to open up to a specific page in order to complete an exercise that I could not imagine how they would take to this new technology. Would they accept it? Would they like it? Or would it be just one more thing to learn in an already intense learning environment? Now that we have eBooks, I LOVE them! I cannot imagine life without them. They have so many benefits above and beyond hard copy books so I decided to share with you my opinion on their benefits today.
- Carry as many books as I own in my iPhone, iPad, iPod, Kindle Fire, Laptop, or PC. (Saves baggage fees at the airport)
- I can load each book up to four times. Once each on two mobile devises. Once each on two computers.
- I can disassociate my books from a PC, Laptop, iPad, iPod, or iPhone that died and associate them to a new device without losing my notes and highlights.
- I can highlight anything I want using the highlight tool.
- I can remove unwanted or no longer needed highlights from my books. (You can’t do that with a hard copy unless you use a pencil.)
- I can add clearly written notes anywhere I want.
- I can quickly find my highlights and notes.
- I can sync my highlights, notes, and last page read to any device.
- I can share my highlights and notes with others of my choosing.
- I can get immediate feedback from other instructors on how to improve the books I write.
Are you using eBooks? Share your notes with courseware@ASCENTed.com and let us know what improvements you would like to see in the courses you teach.