By Jennifer MacMillan
Since my Webcast last week on Creating Exploded & Animated Views Using the Presentation Environment I have had the opportunity to install and investigate Inventor 2017 R2. This release continues to improve the Presentation Environment. If you are reading this blog and realize that you haven’t had the opportunity to see what was new with 2017 R1, I would highly recommend watching my webcast (click here). In R1 the entire workflow and interface for how you create animations and snapshot views was revamped. My webcast talks (and demos) you through these really exciting changes. I loved what they did in R1 and now with the R2 release the workflow has streamlined even more. Here’s a summary:
- To be consistent with creating drawings from a Model Browser, you can now also create a presentation.
- Although available in R1, the Local or World coordinate system options in the Tweak tool didn’t seem to reorient the triad properly. This seems to be working as expected now in R2. The Local option now reorients the triad locally using the component’s coordinate system and the World option reorients the triad relative to the assembly’s coordinate system.
- You can now multi-select tweak and action items in the timeline and drag them as a group. Thank you Autodesk!!
- When editing a tweak or action item Duration, the toolbar provides for alternate ways to define the time. Previously the Duration field was not available. The Duration value for multiple items can also now be edited at once.
- Love this one!! It is now possible to quickly align two Tweaks to start or end at the same time. You simply select them using the <Ctrl> key, right-click and select Align Start Time or Align End Time.
- Tweak and action selection in the timeline has also been made easier in R2. To quickly select all timeline entries before or after a specific entry, right-click on the entry and select Select > All Before or Select > All After. These options can be used to select multiple entries at once to make edits. In the case of a group Tweak, you can right-click on one entry in the group and select Select > Group to select all entries in the group.
- There were no changes to how snapshot views are created; however, when publishing a snapshot view you can now enter a Resolution value and enable Transparent Background to further customize the output of the raster image.
I hope that this update to my webcast helps. If you wanted more formal content, a chapter is dedicated to the Presentation Environment in ASCENT’s Introduction to Solid Modeling training guide. Enjoy all the changes!