You can use the mouse wheel to move around the scene. The movement is based on a pivot point, as shown in Figure 1–21.
Note that the mouse wheel functionality changes depending on the command you are currently using. To Zoom, Pan, or Orbit a model, in the Quick Access Toolbar or Navigation Bar, click(Select), and then use the mouse wheel as follows:
• Zoom - Scroll the mouse wheel up to zoom in and down to zoom out.
• Pan - Hold the mouse wheel and then move the mouse to pan.
• Orbit - Hold <Shift> and the mouse wheel, and then move the mouse to orbit around the scene.
• When you zoom, the current location of the cursor is the pivot point.
• Pan and Orbit use the pivot point defined by the most recent zoom.
This is an excerpt from the ASCENT training guide: Autodesk Navisworks 2017 Using Autodesk Navisworks in a BIM Workflow - Imperial (1st Ed.)