Technical writing is an integral part of many companies’ operations. However, not every organization has the expertise needed in-house to create clear, compelling technical documents. There are many reasons why companies seek outside assistance for their technical writing projects:
- Resource constraints. In-house writers may not be available or they may not have the bandwidth needed to meet tight deadlines for high priority projects.
- Market expansion. When international companies expand into English-speaking markets, their documentation may need editing to meet requirements of English-speaking audiences.
- Existing documentation is inconsistent or unclear. When documentation is inconsistent across products, it detracts from a company’s brand identity. In addition, documentation that is unclear can result in an unnecessarily high level of support calls from customers.
- Documentation doesn’t convey concepts in a visual way. When documentation lacks 3D models, charts, diagrams, illustrations, or animations, it often makes it more difficult for readers to comprehend information quickly.
Getting expert help with technical writing projects can deliver many benefits. Finding the right experts, however, requires research and a thorough process for vetting vendors. When interviewing technical writing firms, consider asking questions that cover the following topics:
- Company history and reputation. How long has the company been in business?
- Team processes. What project management tools and techniques do teams use to keep projects on schedule and on budget?
- Prior experience. What are examples of projects similar to yours that the company has worked on?
- Communication practices. What tools do teams use to communicate with clients?
With many vendors in the market, finding the right match can be a challenge. In our next blog post, we'll discuss ASCENT’s Technical Writing team and how our team differentiates itself from the competition. In the meantime, contact us if you have any questions or would like a quote for your next project. Email us at: tech.writing@ASCENTed.com