By Brian Allen:
So whats new in the new release of AutoCAD? Well, for starters how about another file format revision. In fashion with previous trends it was about time for Autodesk to update the platform file format and that happens this year with the release of 2013.
So here are some FAQ’s we normally see when new file formats arise as it pertains to Compatibility, Interoperability between the various versions of AutoAD as well as system requirements:
Compatibility and Operability
- Customized Menus:
- Upon running 2013 for the first time you will get prompted by a Migration Wizard. A nifty feature that allows you to transfer customized menus, toolbars, etc…
- AutoCAD 2013 DWG format:
- Updated file format to accommodate technology and performance updates in the software. You still have the ability to save to the other formats you’ve always had. Yep, all the way back to R14 DWG and R12 DXF
- Opening 2013 drawings in previous versions:
- As with all previous releases we have the ability to “go forward” only. A 2013 file cannot be opened in 2012 for example.
- To open a newer DWG in an older version, use the free application, TrueView to convert the new file into the needed version.
- Lots of info, just click here.