Today, Autodesk released its hold on information regarding the next release of Autodesk Inventor and Inventor LT. Focus this year has again been on user experience and productivity in the software. With twice as many updates going into the sketcher than anywhere else in the update as well as other updates to Simulation, Frame Generator, Tooling, Part modeling, and the Drawing Manager.
This release sees a lot more updates to the user experience within the first 10 days of use as well including a new Welcome at startup with very well created walk through tutorials.
General & Interface Enhancements
This release sees a lot more updates to the user experience within the first 10 days of use as well including a new Welcome at startup with very well created walk through tutorials. Addition of the Inventor Exchange website for free and small fee addins as well as the Autodesk 360 Cloud Documents integration brings more of what Autodesk has been working on with collaboration into light for the user.
Overall one of the most drastic and well deserved changes has been to the Material and Colors in Inventor having now been replaced with Material and Appearance libraries making it easier to work with materials and colors. Check it out in the video below.
List of ehnahcements to the interface and materials...
- Enhanced Help Experience
- Welcome Screen
- Essential Videos
- Interactive Tutorials
- Create New File Dialog Box
- In-Command Marking Menu
- Context Sensitive Marking Menu
- User Defined Marking menu
- Overflow Menu
- Enhanced Error messages
- Default Application Options
- User Preferences
- Appearance and Texture Tools In-Canvas
- Material and Appearance
- Material and Appearance Libraries and Projects
- Material and Appearance Access
- Work With Materials and Appearances
Inventor's sketcher as I mentioned before as seen the most amount of updates to the system for usabilit as well as productivity. A lot of enhancements were long time wishes of users such as the addtion of the Center Point Rectangle and the Arc Dimension. For anyone doing 3D Sketing or work with Splines will also see some really nice updates. Check out some of the highlights below in the video.
List of Enhancements to the Sketching Environment
- Origin Plane Display
- Set Sketch Scale by the First Dimension
- Create a Two-Point-Center Rectangle
- Create a Three-Point-Center Rectangle
- Dimension Arc Length
- Dynamically Trim Sketch Geometry
- Dynamically Extend Sketch Geometry
- 3D Move/Rotate Direct Manipulation
- 3D Sketch Mirror Command
- 3D Sketch Properties
- 3D Sketch Align to Plane
- Precise Input in 3D Sketch
- Control vertex Splines
- Drag 3D Sketch Geometry
- Equation Curves
- 2D Mirror Self Symmetric
- 2D Sketch Constraints
- Add User Parameter to Text
- Double-Click Sketch Text to Edit
- Find Sketch in Browser Using a Sketch Dimension
- Display of Fully Constrained Sketches
- Measure to Midpoint of a Segment
- Sketch Environment Status Bar
- Associative Sketch geometry Projection
Part & Assembly Enhancements
The part and assembly side of the software did get some improvements, but mostly to the part side with new onscreen tools and informative error messaging. Primitives for quick sold creation as well as End of Park marker updates also round out this update. Click on the video and enjoy!
List of Enhancements to the Part & Assembly Environment
- Primitive Shape Creation
- Offset Base Solid
- Change Appearance for Multiple Features in One Step
- End of Part marker
- Move End of Part Marker in the Feature List
- Persistent Display Settings in Parameters
- Window Select Area When selecting a Hole Center
- Shell Command Direct Manipulation
- Work Plane Direct Manipulation
- Error Glyphs
- Disable Construction Environment
- Part View Representation
- Assembly: Reuse Components in Assembly Mirroring
- Assembly: Remove Internal Voids for Derived Components
- Assembly: Alignment of a Frame member Through Geometry
- Assembly: End Treatment Support on Curved Frame Generator Beams
Drawing Manager Enhancements
Nothing really stupendous here, but overall a lot of little updates to make your life easier to create drawing models when inside of very large assemblies and make the drawing manager easier to work wtih.
List of enhancements to the Drawing Manager
- Open Component Drawing File From Assembly
- Delete Multiple drawing Sheets in One Step.
- Copy Drawing Views to the Same Sheet
- Disable Leader Snapping for Drawing Annotations
- Cross Lines Clipping for datum Targets and Text
- Insert Images of Five Types in Title Blocks
- Show All Child Components in Parts List
- Default Source Models for base Views
Inventor Professional Enhancements
Now that we got the all over Inventor Series updates out of the way, lets focus on Inventor Professional and changes in the higher level license.
Simulation now will perform analysis on thin walled components with new commands like Find Thin Bodies and Midsurface and Offset for shell elements of selected faces. The Dynamic Simulation now also has an API for users that want to program more complex design and simulation datapoints as well. On the performance side, multi-core mahcines will now see decreases in time both mesh generation as well as the solution phase of your simulations.
Tooling has been given some user requested enhancements including but not limited to, Virtual Sprues, the ability to machine the core/cavity into the mold plates, inclusion of surfaces from origin model, sprue bushing location and general perfomance updates like individually update the core/cavity without doing the whole mold update.
In general there were updates to the standard translators for newer versions of competing products, but the most ground breaking update has to be the ability to import point clouds (12 different types to be exact).
Updated Translations List: Download Inventor File Translations 2011-2013