If you need to uninstall your Autodesk software but would like to keep your customer settings you will need to export your current profile and save a copy of your .cuix
What the Profile stores:(taken from the help file) Profiles store drawing environment settings, Default search and project file paths, template file location, default line types, styles, hatch patterns and printer defaults.
What the .CUIX stores:(taken from the help file) the .cuix stores any customization of the user interface including, Ribbon, Menus, Toolbars, Workspace settings and tool Palettes.
To save a copy of your CUIX:
At the command line type OPTIONS to bring up your Options dialog box inside your Autodesk Software. On the files tab expand Customization Files then expand Main Customization File. The path you see under Main Customization File is where your CUIX is stored. Navigate to that path using a Windows Explorer. Typical default path is:
Windows 7/Vista: C:\Users\your user name\appdata\roaming\autodesk\mep 2012\enu\support\mep
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Autodesk\your software\R18.2\Enu\Support
Copy and paste your softwares customization files to a safe place like your "My Documents folder so they will not be deleted while properly uninstalling your software. i.e. ACAD.cuix, ACAD.mnl, ACAD.mnr, ACAD_UK.cuix, and the ACAD.BAK.cuix. Not sure what these files are for click here to read more about them or look them up in your softwares help menu.
To export your current profile:
From your OPTIONS dialog box go to the Profile tab. You will know what Profile is current because at the top left hand corner of the options dialog box it will say Current Profile: and your profile name.
From the Available Profiles list click on the current profile and then click the Export button. Save your .arg in the same folder as you saved your cuix files. You can name your .arg the profile name or you can give it another name it doesnt matter.
How to uninstall your software
Click on this link to properly uninstall your software Autodesk Uninstall Instructions
After uninstalling the software and rebooting your machine you need to properly reinstall your software.
How to reinstall your software
The best way to get past most installation problems is to perform a clean boot. These steps listed below are courtesy of Jeff Lotan, Senior Technical Support Specialist at IMAGINiT Technologies.
To begin ensure the following items are done:
1) Ensure you have met the minimum requirements for the software you are installing.
2) Ensure you can login as a user with Administrator permissions.
3) Clean out the temporary files folders.
4) Ensure the program is not installed, or if recently installed you clean up/delete the files/folders and registry entries for that program and version.
5) On Windows Vista or Windows 7 disable the User Access Control. See below.
6) Boot up in Diagnostic Startup mode with the Windows Installer service enabled. This is the cleanest methods available.
How to boot up into Diagnostics Mode
To boot up into Diagnostic Startup with the Windows Installer Service
1) Ensure you’re logged in with Administrator permissions and select the Windows Start->Run and enter MSCONFIG and hit Enter.
a) If Normal is already selected, then select Diagnostic Startup. Select the Services tab and put a check in the box for Windows Installer.
b) If Selective Startup is selected, then you will need to first make note of what Services and Startup options are enabled or disabled. Select the Services tab and write down all the Services that are not checked, then do the same on the Startup tab. This will allow us to get back to your custom startup after we're done.
2) Click Apply, then click Close.
3) Reboot the computer and login with the same credentials (login name) as when you ran MSCONFIG.
4) Put the DVD in (or run the setup from your download) and perform the install.
5) Reboot and login with the same credentials (login name) as when you ran MSCONFIG.
6) Run MSCONFIG again (Start->Run, enter MSCONFIG and click Okay).
a) If in step 2 above, Normal Startup was selected, then select Normal Startup, Apply and reboot.
b) If Selective Startup was selected in step 2 above, then select Normal Startup and go to the Services tab and uncheck, or deselect, the services per your notes. Then select the Startup tab and deselect the startup items per your notes. Then click Apply, then Close and reboot.
7) Login with the same credentials and test the program. If it runs, we’re done! If it doesn’t, then give us a call at 888-389-3042 and have your IMAGINiT support contract number handy.
Disable User Access Control in Vista and Windows 7
1) Go to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts->Change User Account Control Settings (Win 7, Vista will be similar).
Note: you may need to select a user or go to Manage User Accounts and select the user to get to this option.
2) Turn it off (Vista) or set the slider bar to Never Notify (Win 7).
3) Reboot the computer.