I have written up an outline on how to making a new ribbon tab and add commands to the ribbon in an earlier blog called ACAD/ACA/AMEP: Making a new ribbon tab or adding an old command to the ribbon. In this blog I am outlining how to add a new panel to an existing tab on the ribbon.
As always these instructions work for ACAD, ACAD Architecture, and ACAD MEP 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
You will do all the work inside the Customize User Interface (CUI) editor.
- Type CUI at the command line to bring up the Customize User Interface dialog box.
- From the Customization in All Files section expand Ribbon, you will see Tabs and Panels.
- Right click on Panels and select "New Panel"
- Give your new panel a name. (Your new panel will be at the end of the panel list)
- From the command list section search for the tools you want to add to the panel. Once you find them select on the tools name then right click and select copy.
NOTE: you can drag and drop the tools to your panel but It's best to right click on the command and select copy. Then go up to your new panel and right click on Row 1 and paste. If not the list jumps around.
- Paste the tool by right clicking on Row 1 in your new panel.
- Once you have added all your tools to the panel you will add the panel to the tab you want it to be a part of.
- So again right click on your new panel, scroll up to the Ribbon > Tabs and expand Tabs. In this example I am adding my new panel to the Home tab so I am right clicking on Home - 2D tab to paste my panel.
Click the Apply and OK button to verify your new panel is on the ribbon.
- What if you added your panel and it’s not there. Make sure you added it to the right tab. There are several different "Home" tabs so try adding the panel to the other to see where it’s getting added.
- To remove a panel select it from the list of panels within your Tab and right click. Select Remove Panel.
- Please note that if you remove a panel its gone and to get it back you will have to reset your software or recreate it.
- You can drag it to another tab that is not being used on your Ribbon like Home - 3D just to be safe and to keep a backup of the panel.