If you install Revit without any errors but when opening it you get this message "Default Family Template File Invalid" or you don't have any templates or families do the following to fix Revit.
Please Note: When you see "XX" I am referring to your version. For example if you are seeing the above error in your Revit 2015 then whenever you see "XX" then you need to look for the 2015 folder.
- Check and see if there is nothing in the folder located in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 20XX folder. The files that are in this folder are:
- Family Templates, IES, Libraries, Lookup Tables, Recent, Templates, UserDataCache.
- Find a user whose Revit is working correctly and copy their RVT20XX folder from the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ and copy it to your C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ and overwrite the current folder with this same name (RVT20XX).
Or if you do not have anyone in the office who has a working Revit do the following:
NOTE: If you cannot click on the link to download you will need your IT to do the download. If your internet times out this is an IT/computer issue. Another way to get these files is to look for another user who has the folder and copy it to your machine.
- Click on this link to download the RVT folder and extract it.
- For Revit 2015
- For Revit LT 2015
- For Revit 2016
- For Revit LT 2016
- For Revit 2017
- For Revit LT 2017
- For Revit 2018
- See attached print screen to get the correct paths. (the architectural template is the "default.rte")
If the above doesn't fix your issue or work please follow the blogs below to fix this issue.